Monday, 2 December 2013
Toasted Cinnamon Almonds
This is incredibly easy to do and DELICIOUS. A jar of these wrapped in a gorgeous bow would make a perfect Christmas gift... if they last that long without being eaten!
You'll need ABOUT...
4 cups of unblanched, raw almonds
2 egg whites
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 level teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat fanforced oven to 150C
1. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with a whisk until frothy.
2. Whisk in vanilla extract
3. Add almonds and mix through mixture until all are coated.
4. In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients
5. Pour dry ingredients over almonds and stir gently to coat.
6. Grease flat biscuit or oven trays and spread almonds evenly in a single layer. [TIP: I lined mine with baking paper which made it a bit hard to stir the almonds once they got sticky]
7. Bake for approximately 1 hour, stirring at least once with a flat spatula at about 30 minutes.
8. Allow them to cool on the trays and store in airtight container.
9. Try not to eat them all at once.